Thursday, September 22, 2005

Thursday, 22 September 2005

UPDATE:

Mom finally made it in around 7:30pm. What would typically take her 5 hours to make took her 13 1/2!! She was one pooped girl! But she is here and she's safe!

She went to bed around 9PM so haven't talked to her myself. Thank you for all your prayers and words of concern....continue to pray for those still trying to leave and those...who sadly enough....chose to stay.

 

**************************************************************

 

Since some many of you have asked about my mom and I have to work tonight I decided to post early. I was hoping to tell you she was already here but she is still in her car trying to get her. Here’s the chain of events.

 

Mom called me at 7AM while I was at morning prayer. She had left her apartment at 6AM. She took the back roads from where she lives and traffic was still very congested. It took her an hour to travel 15 miles! She said traffic was moving about 5 MPH! She said “I should have left last night”. I agreed, that’s what we wanted her to do all along. I think it finally began to sink in just what could possibly happen as she said “I couldn’t decide what to pack. I decided it was just stuff and I’m going to trust God with it and I locked the door.”  I know this must be hard to leave and not know what might happen or what to expect when you come back! I know the people in Louisianna and Mississippi must have dealt with the same thing, those who did choose to evacuate. Hits a little closer to home when you personally know the people affected.

 

She called me again around 10AM and it had taken her three hours to drive 50 miles! She did say that traffic was getting better and was moving faster about 55 MPH. I told her we were praying for her and we did in morning prayer. We prayed for not only her but all those trying to evacuate and all those staying. We cried out to God for mercy and for Him to have His way in the midst of this. It will take her at least 4 more hours to get here provided she can drive the speed limit! This trip typically takes her about 5 hours total and it usually wears her out! But as you have seen from the reports on TV the interstates are grid-locked! Thank goodness she chose to leave the area a less traveled way though obviously not unknown!

 

Doyle called and got through to her around 4PM. She was 10 miles out of Waco which is still about 2 ½ hours from us. I have to work at Drive Safe so won’t be here when she arrives. She has been in the car since 6AM!


I’ll update when I get home this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment