Monday, October 31, 2005

Monday, 31 October 2005

Cold front moved through this morning bringing us MUCH NEEDED RAIN! Thank you Lord! We are 12 inches behind for the year. It came through a little bumpy with high wind, thunder and lightening. Then it turned very cool.

Doyle and I went to lunch with the family before his Aunt’s funeral. It was just down the street from the office at Southside Church of Christ. I have told people we need to rename the street “Church Row” as there are four churches all different denominations within a mile of each other!

After lunch we headed to the cemetery where the graveside service would be held. I find most funerals to be sad….I hate to admit it but this funeral was boring! The minister who did the service was a relative and I think he is semi-retired. He said a lot without saying anything! That was sad! Most funerals I go to are very evangelistic or at least have cute stories and memories to share. That didn’t happen. He did mention heknew she had been “baptized” but no one knew when. He said “she was very private about personal matters such as these.” Since when is talking about your relationship with God “private”?! I left the service thankful it was over and sad that there was no more depth to it then that. Doyle gave me an option to not go but I felt like I should if he was going to take off from work to attend. It was cold today too! The wind was blowing 15-25 MPH out of the north and the high was mid 50’s! I’m so glad the service was held in a covered shelter with one solid wall and three other walls that were sliding/folding. We would have been chilled to the bone otherwise.

It was also sad as this shows how dysfunctional our family is. The only time I’ve met some of these people is at funerals! That’s a heck of a way to have family reunions! One of Doyle’s Aunts (his dad’s sister) I never met but went to her funeral and Doyle and I had been married 7 years when that happened! Oh, well, I know ours isn’t the only family like that. My side of the family gets together a little better than that but that doesn’t mean they aren’t dysfunctional. The truth is all families are dysfunctional…just some more than others!

Talked to Dad today. He was admitted to the hospital to prep him for his surgery tomorrow. Those of you who might not know or don’t remember, he had nearly his entire large intestine removed last part of July. He is going in to have his small intestine reattached to his rectum so that he can do away with the colostomy. Surgery is scheduled 7:30AM tomorrow. I’m very much at peace all will go well. I’m mostly praying that they will be able to do this procedure with small incisions instead of evasive surgery. He will recover faster. If you see this before then and even if its after to pray for him. I’d appreciate it.

Excerpt from “God Chasers” by Tommy Tenney

God is everywhere, but He doesn’t turn His face and His favor everywhere. That is why He tells us to seek His face. Ye, He is present with you every time you meet with other believers in a worship service, but how long has it been since your hunger caused you to crawl up in His lap, and like a child, to reach up and take the face of God to turn it toward you? Intimacy with Him! That is what God desires, and His face should be our highest focus.

I’m not there Lord, but I want to be! When You said, “Seek My face,” my heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.” Psalm 27:8 NKVJ

No comments:

Post a Comment