Saturday, October 14, 2023

And Then There Was One

This is another post I didn't want to write.

I had to put Diamond down Friday September 22nd.

He had an impaction that could not be resolved with tubing and IV fluids. The vet thinks it was due to ingesting too much dirt. It has been so dry. There isn't any grass or weeds. The vet said he has seen several cases this summer. The only option was surgery which really wasn't an option 1) because of his age (22) and 2) it is ridiculously expensive ($10,000)

I took Diamond in last year for the same thing about a year ago. I almost lost him then but he pulled through that time.

I knew something was wrong when I went to feed Thursday morning the 21st. When he didn't eat the grain I gave him I knew something was really wrong. I went on to work and called the vet to see when I could take him in.

I took him in at 11am.  When I went back to get him to take him to the vet he was laying down. Another red flag.

They kept him in the clinic. Thursday night the vet called and said he wasn't doing well and asked for my permission to put him down if he couldn't keep him comfortable through the night. Friday morning his condition remained unchanged. 

The vet told me all he had passed was some blood and mucous. Not good news. The vet said he would give him until after lunch and if he still hadn't improved it was decision time.

I went to the clinic just as the staff were going to lunch. I stayed with Diamond until they returned from lunch. I talked to him, loved on him and said my goodbyes. In the hour I was there he laid down 5 times. He was very uncomfortable. 

Diamond was a gift from God. You can read that story here

The hardest part for me has been seeing Fancy in the pasture by herself. She did seem to mope for a


couple of weeks. She stood in the barn a lot. She is being in the pasture more and is meeting me at the fence again when I come out. 

I am praying about what to do. I'm not quite ready to be done with horses so that will mean getting another horse. Horses are herd animals and they do better if they have a buddy and it doesn't necessarily have to be a horse. However it would be better if it is so someone can ride with me.

I will miss this view.


Thank you Diamond. June 20, 2001- September 22, 2023


No comments:

Post a Comment