Friday, April 28, 2017

Tufted Titmouse

I found a third nest. This one is also in a pipe. The only reason I knew there might be a nest is I saw a parent with food go down inside the pipe.










See the tail sticking out the top!

These pictures were taken on 4-8.










That pole sticking up in the air to the right of the water tank is it.









I started carrying my camera with me every time I fed and I am so glad I did as I got a special treat on the morning of April 17th.










Getting ready to go down in the pipe.











There she goes!












Now at first glance you might think this is the same bird with a different insect but watch....










It's Mom and Dad 😲!












I thought that was pretty darn cool!












Now I was really intrigued! I had to see if I could get a picture of the nest but how to get up there. Then I got the idea to drive my truck into the pasture and stand on the tool box! The day I did that was on April 18th! It was foggy that day as you can see.

Even standing on top of my tool box I wasn't quite high enough look into the pipe.












So I put my phone over the top and snapped a couple of pictures and was surprised at the result!

See how far down they are!





I enlarged the photo so you could see the babies better.

It looks like they are close to leaving the nest if they can!














On Saturday April 22nd when I went to feed that morning I found this little guy in Fancy's stall!

This answered my question about whether they could get out of the pipe! I gently shooed him out of the stall so he wouldn't get stepped on.








I got the horses eating and went to see if I could find him. I did. Hiding in the tall grass. This is the only one of the babies I saw. Hope he made it ok. So cute 😊

Well, all the babies have left their nests so no more baby bird watching until next spring!

Have a good one!











2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Love all the photos. We had parent Woodpeckers in a dead tree to watch last year. It got very exciting and dramatic when a snake got in the nest! Eddie was able to get it out and save all but one baby and we watched worriedly until we saw the parents return. Bird watching can be a joy and stressful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I would like to see a woodpecker nest. That is cool except for the snake part!

      Delete