Thursday, January 5, 2017

Making Cookies 12-15-16

I had been wanting to make cookies. Not the Christmas kind ... just cookies. Kennedy was over and I let her help me. I used an old cookie recipe I got from my Grandmother although it wasn't original to her. They are called Ambrosia Cookies and they make about 3 dozen.

I'm showing Kennedy how to look for the measurement on the spoon.











Measuring the baking soda.










Adding Oatmeal.




















Kennedy agrees that this cookie dough tastes pretty darn good.

Ready for baking.













Tasting the fruit of our labor! Yum!!

These are my most favorite cookie! Here's the recipe if you'd like to give them a try.

Ambrosia Cookies
1 C Shortening*
1 C Brown sugar
1C white sugar
*it's important to use shortening instead of butter. I only had 1/2 C of shortening and substituted butter. The butter melts much faster making the cookies flat. They are still good but more crunchy.  If you go by the recipe and use shortening the cookies will be soft and chewy on the inside.

cream together and beat in 2 eggs.

Add
1 tsp Vanilla flavoring
1/2 tsp orange flavoring
1/2 tsp lemon flavoring
4 or 5 drops of butter flavoring (only if you don't use butter flavored shortening)

Sift together and add
2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt.

Then add
1 1/2 C Quick Oats
1/3 C coconut (I don't use)
1 C nuts (I use pecans but you can also use walnuts)
1 C dates or raisins (I don't put in my cookies)

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

Hope you enjoy! Have a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Cookie dough does taste good! You've got a great helper there. Soon she'll be baking them on her own!

    ReplyDelete