Monday, April 17, 2023

My Barn Kitty

 I have had several barn cats over the last few years. The show up, stay for a while, then disappear. I try not to get too attached. There are hawks, owls and other predators in that area which probably plays in their disappearance.

I currently have a barn cat that was from a littler last year. I had a female that had 4 babies. They were wild but as I fed them, over time I was able to pet them all. One by one they disappeared. This one has managed to stay alive the longest. It is a female and I call her Casper. I was really surprised when she didn't get pregnant right away. In fact I was convinced she was barren as she is a year old. Then I began to notice her belly growing. I honestly thought she must have a tumor!

Casper meets me every morning when I come to feed, coming to my truck when I park. On the morning of April 2nd she didn't show up. I wondered where she was but wasn't overly concerned as there have been a few times she didn't come in the mornings. When I came to feed that night she was no where to be found either. I was sad. I thought something had happened to her like all the rest.


The next morning Casper meets me at the truck and she's skinny! Oh my goodness, she was pregnant and had babies! I was so excited!

For being a feral cat she, once she learned she could trust me she is extremely lovable. 


She kind of likes me! she always wants to lick my nose! And she likes to put her paw on me while I'm petting her. I could probably pick her up but I choose not to. 




I think she is very pretty and unusually marked. I love her blue eyes.










I found her babies a few days ago. This picture was taken April 10th. They are just a week old. Looks like there are 4 of them nestled in my hay. I am glad I have hay on the other side of the barn so I won't have to disturb them.

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment