Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Hay Hands

Two weeks ago (January 23rd) Doyle went after hay. He asked me to see if I could round up some helpers to unload. We typically use some high school boys but this day no one was available. I even put out a request on Facebook. I did have a friend who offered her daughter and herself to help but they had about a 30-40 minute drive. I didn't want to ask them to come that far and besides. If they could do it I could.

When Doyle got back to town he asked me if I was up to helping him unload it and save a little money.. He usually gets 100 bales but this time he only got 63. I said sure.

When we first started. I was on the outside putting bales on the ramp and Doyle started stacking. These bales were a lot heavier than the previous ones we bought. After getting the first layer in the barn I was having trouble raising the bales high enough to get in the window so Doyle traded places with me. If you look close you can see his face in this photo.




















Here's how much I stacked! To get the hay that high I stood on the hay just under the window and grabbed the bales before they slide all the way down the ramp. Not too shabby!

Doyle throwing the remnants of loose hay from the trailer into the barn. With the cost of hay these days you don't waste any!

We weren't fast but we got it done. I am very glad it wasn't 100!

All in all we still make pretty good hay hands.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Well this makes me exhausted just reading it! Awesome that you can still do that. Me? Don't think I ever could have done it! Ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as good at it as I used to be. I does help that I handle at least one bale of hay a day. I must admit I was a bit sore the following day but not as much as I had anticipated. I am very grateful it wasn't 100!

      Delete