Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Rock House Retreat 5-25-2018

My friend Teresa and I had decided we both needed a retreat! The sooner the better. I actually think she needed it worse than me but I was game. I looked on Rock House Retreat Facebook page and discovered there was a retreat Memorial Day Weekend. It was actually a "Quilters Retreat" but the Quilters like me and Teresa 😉. There were only 2 spots open and we took them!

We arrived on Thursday and stayed through Monday.




On Friday a severe thunderstorm with hail came over the retreat center. Thankfully the hail was only pea to marble size and wasn't heavy. You can see the video here if you're interested.

These were some of the bigger hail stones. I thought the one with a white ring was interesting.










Left over anvil cloud after the storm passes.


As I typically do on any retreat I like to take a walk-about the area. The temps moderated enough after the storm for me to do that.



A single Thistle. Although a prickly weed, the purple blooms are very intriguing.




I think the name of these is Coreopsis.





























































































This guy was posing so pretty for me I couldn't help but take a picture!











I believe these are called Cone flowers.










There are Mexican Hats



















Indian Paint Brush among a sea of yellow.
















What you see here is all up and down both sides of the road. I just love Texas this time of year.













Remnants of Blanket Flowers. It is past their prime. They are usually out around the same time as Bluebonnets although they last a little longer.








A Western Flycatcher.












The sun peaked out from behind the clouds in the West








To the East storm clouds that had already past us by and the moon.





































I was surprised by a rare sighting of a Painted Bunting! This was as close as I dare get even with my zoom fully extended! I didn't have much light either but I was thrilled to get to see this beautiful bird!

I'll share more in another post.

Have a good one!







2 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes we just need to get away don't we?! Love your nature walk photos!

    ReplyDelete