Friday, February 10, 2017

Reconnecting with a Former Riding Buddy

I was on my way to hook up the trailer and catch a horse to ride with Joelle when I got a text message from a former riding buddy, Mary, inviting me to ride with her at the State Park the next day. I said yes! It worked out for me as it gave me a chance to ride two horses that way.

So Tuesday, February 7th I met Mary at the Park bringing Diamond as my mount.

Mary and I met 20 years ago when we first got our horses. She lived across the road from where we were keeping ours. I learned she was training her horse for endurance. I was intrigued and decided to give it a try. We rode together many times conditioning our horses for distance riding. We also competed together in some rides. Our lives went different directions a few years after meeting. We had moved our horses to a different location,  I quick working and didn't have the extra money to compete plus I had gotten very active in my church and didn't want to be gone every weekend.

We have stayed in touch but we hadn't ridden together in years. At the age of 74 she is still doing endurance and has a new young horse (3 yo) she is training. She wanted someone along with her to help keep him calm and to keep her company. I was thrilled to reconnect with her. It was like old times.

We got off to a bit of a rough start. I was putting on Diamond's bridle. Mary was standing nearby with her horse Sparks, waiting on us. I guess a new horse got Diamond excited and stepped on my foot. I fell with my foot still pinned under his. It came out when I fell. It smarted too! The scuff marks on my boot are from his horse shoe!

I still managed to ride.

































Sparks spots something scary.










Mary says "Come on, Sparks, let's check it out".










Oh, it's not a horse eating monster, it's just a log!










 We both took turns leading.


















Sparks and Mary are doing really good. No big blow ups! We even crossed the low water crossing with water and debris over it!



















Mary is telling me how proud she is of Sparks.
















Me and my boy! I love him even if he did smash my foot!


















Me and Mary with our horses Diamond and Sparks. We had a great ride and wonderful time! We've already planned to go again soon!

















After I load Diamond in the trailer and have been walking around a bit, my foot begins to throb. It didn't bother me too much while we were riding but now it's really screaming at me.

I get home and survey the damage to my foot. My toes aren't very pretty to begin with but they sure aren't now! My big toe and second to got the worst of it.












Needless to say I've been limping a bit. I really am much better. I received prayer that night at leadership meeting and I haven't had to have anything for pain since then. 

I haven't tried putting my boots back on just yet. I think I'll give it a few more days 😉

Have a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was for the first few days but it healed much quicker than I thought!

      Delete