Sunday, May 13, 2012

Merry Christmas in May?!

Yes, if you're a card maker and want to make your Christmas cards you need to start early. The earlier the better! I've had the urge to make Christmas cards for a few weeks but the demands of other crafting projects made me keep shoving the Christmas card idea to the back burner. I have been following a friends blog Sandy Trefger as she quite frequently makes cards and enters card challenges. I became intrigued and checked out some of them. One in particular caught my attention ABC Christmas Challenge. After quizzing my friend and her graciously giving me some how to's I decided to be brave and jump in. I chose this one as 1) I need to start making cards for Christmas 2) I have two weeks to complete a card 3) I can start right where they are in the challenge (they are on Letter "I") "I" is for Icy Inspiration

This card is rather simple but I really like how it turned out. The photo I used for inspiration was branch and snow. I remembered I had a stamp that looked very similar and although I wasn't really trying to duplicate the photo for inspiration I almost did!

I began with a card base using a solid color card stock. It was already cut and scored for use when I was making Christmas cards last year. I embossed a smooth white piece of card stock using a Cuttlebug embossing folder and put through my Big Shot. The embossing folder didn't have a name on it but the design is snowflakes. Once embossed I trimmed it to 4 x 5.  I had some all purpose ink (frost white) that I had purchased from Stampin Up that I covered the embossed paper with giving it a sheen. I stamped the branch, ornament and sentiment using Christmas Bough from Unity.

I used Memento "Cottage Ivy" to stamp the branches. I wasn't very pleased with the color so I went back over the image with my Copic Markers G94 and G99. To give it a more "icy" feel I used Distress Stickles Pine Needles. Unfortunately it doesn't show well in the photo. For the snow I used Distress Stickles Picket Fence. I stamped the sentiment in the box with Memento Lady Bug. I cut out the branch and popped it with foam tape. I stamped the ornament image with Memento Desert Sand and colored the ornament with my Copic Markers YR23, R24, and G03. I then applied Glossy Accents to give it an epoxy look. Once it dried I cut it out and popped it with foam tape as well. As a finishing touch I used some ribbon I had in my stash. Most of the products I use for crafting come from my LSS Cat's Creations Scrapbooks.

Thank you for taking time to look at my very first attempt at a card challenge! It's not too late for you to join in on the fun and create Christmas cards from A to Z, just click on this LINK and jump right in!

10 comments:

  1. Yay! You did it and your card looks fabulous! I love how it is almost a replica of the photo inspiration! Well done, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. LOVE the snow on the branches. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you have made a brilliant start and we hope you will now play along every challenge too! you can enter more than one card per challenge to feel free to make another if you want too! this one is fab and a brilliant take on the inspirational picture too! so Great job! well done! Thanks for playing along with us on the ABC Christmas Challenge and hope to see you again soon, hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Samantha for your comment! I was just thinking I might try to do one more before this letter challenge is over! I appreciate your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely white icy christmas card and the embossed snowflakes looks icy and awsome;) Thanks for playing at ABC Christmas challenge and good luck. Hope to see you back wednesday for a new challenge. Bettina xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bettina for your wonderful comment! I do plan to participate again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your icy branches look incredible! Great job and welcome to the world of card challenges - they are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Allison! I couldn't agree more! My only problem now is I find I'd rather make cards than scrapbook! I was behind enough before I started this! Gotta get back in the grove!

    ReplyDelete